5th Grade Story Contest
Every spring the Berkeley Branch holds a story contest for Bay Area Fifth Graders.
The Berkeley Branch of the 102-year-old California Writers Club is proud to sponsor the
26th Annual 5th Grade Story Contest
A Contest for 5th Grade Students in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties
Deadline: March 15, 2012
Teachers in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties are invited to submit one story per student by any number of students. The entry fee is $1 per submission. Entry fees and donations help the club to offer this contest.
Award Certificates and Prizes:
- $100 for the best short story written by a fifth-grade student in Alameda or Contra Costa County;
- $75 for Second Place;
- $50 for Third Place; and, depending on number of entries,
- up to 12 Fourth Place prizes of $20.
We will honor the teacher of the grand-prize winner with a cash award of $50. Teachers are entitled to submit an unlimited number of entries.
- Only teachers may submit entries; entries from students or parents are not accepted.
- Stories must be original and the student’s own work.
- Only one entry per student may be submitted; teachers may submit any number of entries.
- Entries may not exceed 1,000 words in length.
- Mail on or before March 15, 2011 to: Story Contest, 560 San Luis Road, Berkeley CA 94707
- Entries cannot be returned.
- Names of entrants (first name and last initial) may be posted on the comments of this page on receipt.
- All participants are invited to the awards ceremony in June, date TBA.
Names of the winners will be announced by May 15th in local newspapers and on our website.
CWC may publish stories for educational purposes only.
Awards Ceremony will be held on Sunday, June 2, 2012.
Preparation of Entries:
- Stories must be typed and printed on one side only of standard white 8-1/2 x 11-inch paper.
- Please, no fancy paper, covers, or artwork.
- First page must include title of the story and the word count.
- Do not write the author’s name or other identification anywhere on the story.
- On a separate sheet print clearly: 1) Title of story 2) Student’s name 3) Teacher’s name
4) Teacher’s email 5) School name and address. (This sheet will be removed during judging.)
The contest will be judged by California Writers Club members through a process known as “blind reading.” This means the judges will not know the name or school of the author of the story.
For more information see http://calwritersclub.wordpress.com/new-page/writing-contests/5th-grade-story-contest/