Mt. Diablo Peace & Justice Center 14th Annual PEACE through ART & WRITING CHALLENGE
2011 For Middle School Students
TOPIC: Often we create divisions between ourselves and others because of race, religion, politics, sexual orientation or even minor things such as dress or mannerisms. Have you or someone you know ever been subject to verbal abuse or bullying as a result of these or any other differences? How did you/they handle the situation? What steps can we take to create an atmosphere of tolerance and acceptance of all people?
Ideas to consider: • What connection is there between individual tolerance and peace between nations? • How can one person stand up against intolerance and bullying? • Are internet and email bullying more harmful than “in person” bullying?
☺Winners will be honored at an Awards Dinner on Saturday, May 14, 2011☺ ________________________________________ CATEGORIES •
750 words or less •
Creative writing – poem, story, play • Art – any medium •
Video on DVD CONTEST RULES:
1. Contest is open to all Contra Costa County students.
2. For all entries: Include a cover sheet with your name, home address, phone number, email address, school, grade, teacher (or teacher who informed you of the contest), teacher’s phone number and email address, entry category and title of your work.
3. All writing entries are to be a maximum of 750 words: typed, double-spaced, with numbered pages. Please have a teacher review your writing before submitting. If possible, send the document as an email attachment to WritingContest@mtdpc.org. Otherwise, send two copies by mail. Writing entries will not be returned. 4. For art entries, attach the cover sheet on the back. Art may be picked up after May 14.
5. Entries will be judged on clarity, originality, depth of thought, and skill.
6. Mt. Diablo Peace & Justice Center reserves the right to reprint all entries.
DEADLINE: Postmarked or delivered no later than Monday, March 7, 2010.
SEND OR DELIVER TO: Mt. Diablo Peace & Justice Center, 55 Eckley Lane, Walnut Creek, CA 94596; (925) 933-7850.
Thanks to generous donations from The Schmidt Family in loving memory of Amanda Schmidt; Mountain Camp; and the George Miller Youth Fund.