Please share with any middle school student, teacher, parent, or librarian that may be interested. Thank you! Liz Koehler-Pentacoff Writer suggestions and questions? See our website http://mtdiablowriters.org/
California Writers Club
Mt. Diablo Branch, Contra Costa County
YOUNG WRITERS CONTEST
A search for Young Voices who want to be heard in print.
PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY
Number and Street City Zip
Home Phone_______________________________E-mail Address ______________________
First and Last Name of your English Teacher________________________________________________________________
Manuscript category – please check one:
¨ Short Story (up to 5 pages typed, double-spaced) ¨Poem (up to 30 lines, need not be double-spaced)
¨ Personal Narrative/Essay (up to 3 pages, typed, double-spaced)
Mail submissions to: Young Writers Contest, California Writers Club, PO Box 606 Alamo, CA 94507
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
1. Contest open to 6th, 7th and 8th grade students who live in or attend school in Contra Costa County.
2. Submit 2 copies of your manuscript. Do not include artwork or a cover. Your manuscript must be typed or computer generated at 12 point, double-spaced. No staples. Paper clips only.
3. Put your name in the upper left-hand corner of each page. Number each page.
4. Multiple entries are welcome. Each entry must be accompanied by a separate application form (above) or 3×5 card noting Name, Home Address, Home Phone, School, Grade, E-mail Address, Teacher, Title, Category. 5. Deadline for submission is 4/01/09. Winners will be announced when judging is complete.
6. INDIVIDUAL SUBMISSIONS BY STUDENTS PREFERRED. TEACHERS: PLEASE ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO SUBMIT THEIR STORIES AND POEMS THEMSELVES.
PRIZES: Winning short stories and poems from each grade level will receive $100 for first prize, $50 for second prize and $25 for third prize. The Betty Tenney Essay Award of $100 will be given to the best personal narrative/essay in each of grade. Second and third place prizes may be awarded in this category at the judges’ discretion. Prizes will be presented to winners on May 9, 2009, at a lunch banquet. A published author will speak. Parents are welcome.
TEACHERS: We are striving to encourage individual creativity and expression. Do not to send entire class assignments. Teachers of winning students will be invited to attend the May 9 banquet.